Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Frog Face Fish, Wyndham Street (next door to Tivos)

Wednesday May 23

Onto the next chapter in the epic saga of what is pertinently known as named Jo Hamilton’s eternal hunger . . .

Twas a girls’ night out, and six of us met at 8:30pm at the very swanky Frog Face Fish, a modern seafood restaurant with all the trimmings.

We were all feeling swish and were keen for a goodie, as the next day was a public holiday (have I mentioned there are like 15 of them in Honkers? Bitchin’!).

Anyway, Frog Face Fish had great furniture, great lighting (exceptionally great for end of 12 hour day eye-liner) and most importantly *rubs tummy* a great sounding menu!

Contemporary, classy and comfortable, I felt right at home (snorts at own joke) and very soon found myself incredibly excited by the menu and specials board. Oh and I guess the company was alright too.

The carte du jour was filled with Western-style seafood, which was scrupulously and dramatically depicted by our smiley waiter (think ‘Charades’ in Cantonese). This was greatly appreciated by Giant Lady, however as we couldn’t understand a word he was saying, we all just nodded and smiled back at him.

As we supped on Oyster Bay wine, I was suddenly fraught with fear and confusion. Too many options on this blessed menu!

What if I can never decide what to order? Will we all just sit here until the end of eternity? Will time cease to exist? Will panda bears die in the woods? Would my blog digressions get longer and longer? And longer still?

I mean, how does one choose between the risotto of roasted red pepper and crab - with spicy avocado semi-freddo; and the ravioli of scallop - asparagus, cherry tomatoes, shellfish oil and basil lemon butter?

And what about the absinthe flamed seafood broth - toasted ciabatta and garlic saffron aioli?!

Morosely perplexed, yet at the same time agreeably excited, I decide not to tempt fate with the absinthe dish.

(Read between the lines: I had instant flash forward images of myself singing Liza Minelli's show tunes, on the table, with someone else's hat and scarf, after one slurp)

Instead, I decided to go with the spiced prawn, avocado and red onion salad - with mango and toasted cumin coriander dressing (above right) for my entrée. Much, much safer.

And it was f’ing outstanding – reuniting the ageless love affair between prawns, avos and mango! I mmm-ed through the whole thing and swore a few times, from pure rapture. My fellow diners were equally as impressed with their entrees, with a few swear words escape their pie-holes too (dat’s my girls!).

For my main I went with one of the specials, which was grilled tuna served on a spicy risotto with a yummy creamy sauce (below). It. Was. Heavenly!

Again, I annoyed random patrons with my excitement over this meal *lady at next table looks away in disgust*, but I couldn’t help it. It was just too bloody good! It was truly melt in your mouth stuff, and I was as excited as a kid in a China shop. Or a bull in a candy store, or something. Pretty excited, either way.

I even got to finish my matey, Lil Jo’s, tuna too (thanks Joey Jo Jo – you’re a star!).

Conclusion?

The food was celestial. You could taste every single fresh ingredient, yet the whole thing was subtle and understated. It really was a bloody good meal.

If you are ever in Honkers, Frog Face Fish is a must do restaurant. I want to order everything on the menu and then some! And then do it again.

Giant Lady gives it 9 out of 10!

Outtie yo!

xoxo

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo Sounds like you've found your city. Food + fashion. Or at best figured out how to transform your sydney lifestyle to HK.Enjoy Rockstar.

Grace said...

I like yr blog :)