Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My biggest dilemma to date: soup or dumplings?


Just so you know, I like to start my blogs like we’re in the middle of a conversation . . . kinda like when they have a nutty dinner party scene in a shitty sitcom (insert the canned laughter, and *crazy* catchphrase here).

So as I was saying (or was I?) . . . I jumped onto the incredibly efficient Honkers train system tonight, and headed to Taikoo for dim sum with a lovely Cantonese lady with whom I work.

And yes, as “I am local now”, I’m able to be the try-hard Westerner who thinks it’s all together urbane and worldly to call it ‘dim sum’, and not ‘yum cha’, and will insist on speaking in loud and denigrating English when ordering all forms of Chinese food.


Anyhoo, so we arrived at the restaurant and were immediately faced with one of life’s most delicious dilemmas – the menu!

“I kinda feel like dumplings,” I declared, as I ran my fingers down the menu (which was all in Cantonese by the way – this didn’t stop me).

“But I could kinda do with some dumplings too (*shoves prawn crackers in mouth*) . . . wot ‘bout choo (*spits piece of prawn cracker onto table*)?”


My dining companion then very kindly explained to me that she thinks she has the perfect solution . . . my ears prick up, I do my best lemur impersonation, and I nod earnestly like an r-tard.

Sooo bloggers . . . what did she order for us?

Hands up who’s ever had Xiao Long Bao? Any of you white devils? No? . . . Infidels.

Xiao Long Bao are these tasty little pretenders which – to the untrained eye – look like smooshable dumplings, which are served in your average bamboo basket steamer (see pic top right).

Also known as ‘soup dumplings’, they contain a delightful pork meatball, which (here’s the catch) floats in a sea of tasty meat broth! Who would have thunk it?! I love a scandalous and surprising snack.

The ruse is getting the pliable little buggers from basket to plate, without breaking their delicate skin, and therefore releasing their soupy goodness . . . something I’d mastered by my seventh one (sorry work-matey – I think she got one??).

The Xiao Long Bao we had were average dumpling size, yet apparently you can get them big enough to fit a large noodle-soup bowl (this size is served with a straw). That’s some awesome crazy Asian shite – I love it!

So, my conclusion for Xiao Long Bao?

‘Kin YUM!!

And my score outta ten?

I’m going to go with a 6 ½ . . . I’d really like to go higher, but as this is my first foodie blog, I don’t want to over play things too early and leave myself in a tizz later (coz the world would clearly cease as we know it, if I did this).

So go get ‘em people . . . seize a straw and slurp your way to dumpling dreamland!

Peace out.

xoxo



4 comments:

Azile Notlimah said...

God Joey...It is just like a Hamilton family dinner....food, talk, and food-talk...I feel like I am at home...and I love it.

"Please sir, I want some more?..."

Rach said...

mmmm dumprings

Fire Dragon said...

Ricky, your making me hungry...
Ruv u!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.